Peace Day – September 21 – is a powerful global day to take local action for peace! This section offers many Peace Day activity ideas for how you/your organization can engage in the day. You can participate as an individual or as part of a group or organization. You create an individual or group activity related to peace/unity, or plan to come out for one of PDP 2018’s programs. What will your #PeaceDay plan be?
Here are just some of the many Peace Day activities that have taken place across the globe: *Minute of silence at 12 noon (all timezones) *Peace education events *Collaborative intercultural and interfaith dialogues *Workshops on the UN Sustainable Development Goals *Meditation and prayer *Planting peace poles *Vigils *Concerts and festivals *Soccer/football matches in the spirit of peace *Service to others *Feasts for Peace *Writing peace poetry *Yoga *Marches, parades and flag ceremonies *Public programs with government officials *Engaging youth in peace-building activities.
PARTICIPATE AS AN INDIVIDUAL – Create your #peaceday
You don’t have to organize or attend an event to participate in Peace Day. Individuals can observe Peace Day in whatever way is personally meaningful. Take time for quiet reflection, volunteer in your community, commit to more peaceful communications in your home, share some time and energy with someone who needs support, learn about a global issue related to people or the environment that the UN and/or NGOs are working to solve – all are great ways you can engage in this global day.
GLOBAL PEACE DAY INITIATIVES
href=”http://internationaldayofpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Minute-of-Silence-Description.pdf”>Minute of Silence/Moment of Peace – Individuals, communities, families and workplaces can observe this global minute at 12noon in all time zones across the world. You are encouraged to use this minute to meditate on, pray for, or envision peace. This “peace wave” becomes a shared act of peacebuilding in which all can participate.
- Roots and Shoots – Each September, Roots & Shoots groups from around the world celebrate Roots & Shoots and honor the International Day of Peace. Dr. Jane has been a UN Messenger of Peace since 2002 and she inspires us all to live in harmony with nature and each other.
– II Days of Global Unity – The 11 Days of Global Unity aims at strengthening the ideals of unity and equality, diversity and oneness, harmony and compassion and, above all, at advancing the culture of peace.
– Compassion Games International – offers fun and creative ways to ignite and catalyze compassionate action in communities around the world.
- Global Mala (Yoga) Project – Unites yoga, service and collective action, forming a “mala around the earth” based upon the sacred cycle of 108 (108 Surya Namaskar, Mantra, Kriya, Meditation).
– Be the Peace – From Sept. 19 – 21, join the synchronized meditation on-line.
- Peace Crane Project – Create and share peace cranes with people in different parts of the world.
- One Day One Goal – Peace One Day’s campaign using the power of sport to bring people together.
Whatever you choose to do, please pause at 12 Noon local time and join people all across the globe in a Minute of Silence/Moment of Peace.