Peace Day – September 21 – is a powerful global day to take local action for peace! This section offers many Peace Day activity ideas for how you/your organization can engage in the day. You can participate as part of a group or organization, or as an individual. You may create an activity/program related to peace/unity, or plan to come out for one of PDP 2018’s programs that will take place Sept. 19-21. What will your #PeaceDay plan be?
For 2018, PDP is encouraging PEACE BREATHING. A simple yet profound action for just a few minutes can change your level of inner and interpersonal peacefulness. JOIN US in using this simple yet profound way of being at peace both within and in relationship with others.
Here are some of the many Peace Day activities that take place across the globe: *Minute of silence at 12 noon (all timezones) *Engaging youth in peace-building activities *Peace education events *Intercultural and interfaith dialogues *Workshops on the UN Sustainable Development Goals *Peace Breathing, meditation and prayer *Planting peace poles *Vigils *Concerts and festivals *Soccer/football matches in the spirit of peace *Service to others *Feasts for Peace *Writing projects for peace *Marches, parades and flag ceremonies *Yoga * *Environmental projects *Public programs with government officials *Social justice programs *Peace art activities.
GLOBAL PEACE DAY INITIATIVES
Minute of Silence – Individuals, communities, families and workplaces can observe this global minute at 12noon in all time zones across the world. You are encouraged to use this minute to meditate on, pray for, or envision peace. This “peace wave” becomes a shared act of peacebuilding in which all can participate.
- Roots and Shoots – Each September, Roots & Shoots groups from around the world celebrate Roots & Shoots and honor the International Day of Peace. Dr. Jane Goodall, founder of Roots and Shoots, has been a UN Messenger of Peace since 2002. She encourages people across the globe to fly a giant peace dove.
– II Days of Global Unity – The 11 Days of Global Unity aims at strengthening the ideals of unity and equality, diversity and oneness, harmony and compassion and, above all, at advancing the culture of peace.
– Compassion Games International – offers fun and creative ways to ignite and catalyze compassionate action in communities around the world.
– Peace Crane Project – Create and share peace cranes with people in different parts of the world.
- One Day One Goal – Peace One Day’s campaign using the power of sport to bring people together.