Peace Day Philly promotes and collaborates on programming related to personal, local and/or global peace, on and around the United Nations International Day of Peace (“Peace Day”), SEPTEMBER 21. Peace Day Philly’s focus is on building positive peace and creating the conditions for peace, unity and justice.
Peace Day Philly’s Overarching Mission:
Empowering all people to collaboratively build a more peaceful and just world.
Peace Day Philly was founded in 2011 by a small group of individuals and organizational representatives, including the UN Association of Greater Philadelphia, as a grassroots initiative. PDP became a formal non-profit in 2013. As of 2018, Peace Day Philly also became an NGO affiliated with the United Nations.
In 2011, Peace Day Philly hosted 3 free, diverse peace programs. By 2013 there were well over 20 peace programs taking place annually during the week in which Peace Day falls, offered by a wide range of organizations and groups. Each year, children and youth also participated peace activities in schools and libraries across the region, and the Philadelphia Police Department offered numerous additional community building programs in Philly neighborhoods as part of Peace Day Philly.
Peace Day Philly offers and collaborates on programs, but many of the activities that make up each year’s Peace Day Philly are offered by Philly-region organizations based on their work as it relates to peace.
PEACE DAY PHILLY WORKS TO:
– ENCOURAGE a broad-base of organizations to use the platform of the United Nations International Day of Peace (observed worldwide on and around September 21) to offer and/or engage in an activity related to peace that is in keeping with their mission/goals.
– COLLABORATE with other organizations and groups to develop and present high-quality, content rich programs on a wide range of topics related to personal, local and/or global peace.
– PROVIDE a wide range of resources and links via our website and social media for organizations, groups and individuals to engage in Peace Day.
– ENGAGE civic offices, city Departments and leaders to use Peace Day Philly to forward ongoing safety enhancement and community resiliency work taking place year round.
– PROMOTE peace programs and activities – both local and global – throughout the year through community partnerships.
– SUSTAIN efforts and initiatives sparked by the International Day of Peace whenever possible.
To learn more about how you can get involved in Peace Day Philly, go to the “What Can You Do” section of this website, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
May Peace Prevail In Philadelphia – May Peace Prevail On Earth!