Peace Day Philly promotes and collaborates on programming related to personal, local and/or global peace, especially on and around the United Nations International Day of Peace (“Peace Day”), SEPTEMBER 21. Peace Day Philly’s focus is on building positive peace and creating the conditions for peace, unity and justice through diverse and collaborative activities such as: dialogue, skill and resiliency-building, creativity, mindfulness and citizenship.
Peace Day Philly was founded by a small group of individuals and organizational representatives in 2011 as a grassroots initiative to promote meaningful, local participation in Peace Day. Peace Day Philly’s Founder Lisa Parker, a mother and social worker by training, was inspired by the idea of a global day of peace and what that could mean in her home town – Philadelphia.
In 2011, Peace Day Philly hosted 3 free, diverse peace programs. By 2013 there were well over 20 peace programs taking place annually during the week in which Peace Day Falls, offered by a wide range of organizations and groups. Each year, children and youth also participated peace activities in schools and libraries across the region, and the Philadelphia Police Department offered numerous additional community building programs in Philly neighborhoods as part of Peace Day Philly.
Peace Day Philly offers and collaborates on programs, but many of the activities that make up each year’s week-long Peace Day Philly are offered by Philly-region organizations based on their work as it relates to peace.
Peace Day Philly works to:
– ENCOURAGE a broad-base of organizations to use the platform of the United Nations International Day of Peace (observed worldwide on and around September 21) to offer and/or engage in an activity related to peace that is in keeping with their mission/goals.
– COLLABORATE with other organizations and groups to develop and present high-quality, content rich programs on a wide range of topics related to personal, local and/or global peace and connections between these spheres.
– PROVIDE a wide range of resources and follow up links via our website for organizations,and individuals to encourage diverse involvement in Peace Day.
– ENGAGE civic offices, commissions and leaders to use Peace Day Philly to forward ongoing safety enhancement and community resiliency work taking place year round
– PROMOTE through community partnerships, peace programs and activities – both local and global – throughout the year.
To learn more about how you can get involved in Peace Day Philly, go to the “What Can You Do” section of this website, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
May Peace Prevail In Philadelphia – May Peace Prevail On Earth!