Peace Day Philly promotes and collaborates on substantive programming related to personal, local and/or global peace, as all 3 spheres of peace interact with one another. Peace Day Philly’s focus is on building positive peace and creating the conditions for peace through dialogue, skill and resiliency-building, action, personal reflection, mindfulness and citizenship.
Peace Day Philly was founded by a small group of individuals and organizations in 2011 as a grassroots initiative to promote meaningful, local participation in the United Nations International Day of Peace (“Peace Day”), SEPTEMBER 21. Peace Day Philly’s Co-Founder Lisa Parker, a mom and social worker by training, was inspired by the idea of a global day of peace, and what that could mean in her home town Philadelphia.
In 2011, Peace Day Philly hosted 3 free, diverse peace programs. By 2013 there were well over 20 peace programs taking place annually during the week in which Peace Day Falls, offered by a wide range of organizations and groups. Each year, children and youth also participated peace activities in schools and libraries across the region, and the Philadelphia Police Department offered numerous additional community building programs in Philly neighborhoods as part of Peace Day Philly.
Peace Day Philly works to:
– ENCOURAGE a broad-base of organizations to use the platform of the United Nations International Day of Peace (observed worldwide on and around September 21) to offer and/or engage in an activity related to peace that is in keeping with their mission/goals
– COLLABORATE with other organizations and groups to develop and present high-quality, content rich programs on a wide range of topics related to personal, local and/or global peace and connections between these spheres
– PROVIDE a wide range of resources and follow up links for organizations, schools, faith entities and individuals so that organizations can get involved in Peace Day in ways that inspire them
– ENGAGE civic offices, commissions and leaders to use Peace Day Philly to forward ongoing safety enhancement and community resiliency work taking place year round
– SERVE as a Community Partner to help raise awareness of and participation in peace-related programs offered by other organizations year-round
– PROMOTE through community partnerships, peace programs and activities – both local and global – throughout the year.
Peace Day Philly aligns with the sustained work of the United Nations – and many NGOs across the world – working to build a “Culture of Peace.” For more about this concept, please visit the Culture of Peace page of this section.
To learn more about how you can get involved in Peace Day Philly, go to the “What Can You Do” section of this website, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
May Peace Prevail In Philadelphia – May Peace Prevail On Earth!